Thursday, May 14, 2009

Salem Heights

This week I had the opportunity to visit Salem Heights Elementary School. This is where deaf and hard of hearing children in three local counties are able to come together for mainstream education. The school provides sign language services and speech and language therapy specific to the kid's needs. My mom actually taught kindergarten there several years ago.

Quite a few of the kids at Salem Heights have hearing aids or Cochlear implants. I met with several kids who were excited to tell me all about their implants. They took off their processors and coils, proudly showing me how they hear. To these boys, Cochlear Implants and hearing aids are just a part of their lives. As natural as the shoes we put on each day.

I had conversations and played games with children who were deaf, just like Ben. It was enlightening to have a vision into Ben's future. I could picture him giggling with a group of boys or arguing over the rules of a game.

I brought a book about Ben's first day with his hearing aids to show the kids. One fifth grade boy, with an implant and a hearing aid, carefully read through each page of the book. He finished reading and said:

"What is your baby's name?"

"Ben"

"Is Ben going to get an implant too?"

"Yes. I think so."

"He will say: Thank you Mommy for letting me hear."

"Really?"

"He will say it was the best day of his life."



I smiled the whole way home. My baby has such a bright future.

1 comment:

Heather Carlile said...

Oh my gosh you made me tear up. What a sweet little guy. I'm sure he had no idea that he totally made your day! Thanks again for letting us follow Ben's story!
-Heather & Gracie